The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is inviting families across the state to participate in the fun and educational Nature Bowl 2021: Family Challenge Edition.
Nature Bowl has been an exciting science event for teams of third- through sixth-grade students for more than 35 years. Students usually compete in person at natural resource sites throughout CDFW’s North Central Region.
Last year saw the event cancelled as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, Nature Bowl has been reformatted for the times as a nature challenge to all California families with school-age students.
Just like the spring before us, it’s time for rejuvenation, time to emerge from winter hibernation, time to get outside and give your family a healthy dose of nature.
Your challenge is to work together as a family to compete in five nature-themed activities – and possibly win cool nature-related prizes.
- Nature Relay: Take a scavenger hunt safari to see the natural world nearby.*
- Nature Investigations: Discover native plants, animals in your backyard or neighborhood.
- Bell Ringers: Invent a fast-paced family game using Nature Bowl 2021 vocabulary.
- Team Problem Solving: Decipher the events in 12 nature photographs.*
- Enviromercials: Create a 60-second ad on a current nature topic specific to California.
The Nature Bowl Family Challenge is open from March 15 through May 14, 2021. Contact Genelle Treaster at CDFW’s North Central Region to register and receive your electronic entry package with details, worksheets and resources.