Free Commercial Cannabis Permitting Workshops in Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) are hosting four free commercial cannabis permitting workshops in northern California.

The free workshops are ideal for new and existing cultivators and formatted to help cultivators navigate the state’s licensing process. Participants will be able to ask specific project questions, obtain permitting materials, learn about compliance and meet staff.

“We and our state partners are here to assist cultivators that are pursuing a state cultivator license and to explain regulatory compliance associated with commercial cannabis cultivation,” said Ryan Mathis, CDFW Environmental Program Manager for the Cannabis Environmental Compliance Program.

CDFA’s CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Division will provide an overview of the state’s cannabis cultivation licensing program and review the requirements for cannabis farming. CDFW will cover Lake and Streambed Alteration agreements and how to limit environmental impacts.  The State Water Board will review its cannabis policy, the permitting process and other important information.

California’s cannabis regulations require commercial cultivators to obtain the necessary state licenses and local permits, as well as implement best management practices to reduce environmental impacts.

Workshops are scheduled on the following dates and times.

  • Jan. 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.*
    Trinity County Fairgrounds
    6000 CA-3
    *presentations start at 10:30 a.m.
  • Feb. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.*
    Harwood Hall
    44400 Willis Avenue
    *presentations start at 10:30 a.m.
  • Feb. 12 will have two sessions: 9 a.m. to noon and 3 to 7 p.m.*
    River Lodge Conference Center
    1800 Riverwalk Drive
    *presentations will start 30 minutes after the doors open for each session

To learn more about CDFW’s cannabis program, please visit or email To report environmental crimes, such as pollution, water diversions and poaching, please call the CalTIP hotline at (888) 334-2258 or text information to “TIP411” (847411).

For more information about becoming a licensed commercial cannabis farmer and for an overview of the California Cannabis Track-and-Trace Metrc System, please visit the CDFA CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Division’s website at, call 1-833-CALGROW (1-833-225-4769) or send an email to To report suspected illegal cannabis cultivation or related complaints, please call the CalCannabis toll-free hotline: 1-833-WEED-TIP (1-833-933-3847).

For assistance with the State Water Board’s role in cannabis cultivation permitting, please email or call (916) 341-5580 (Cannabis Cultivation General Order); or email or call (916) 319-9427 (cannabis cultivation water rights).

Janice Mackey, CDFW Communications,
Rebecca Forée, CDFA’s CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Division,