DFG Recognized for Outstanding Communication Efforts
June 4, 2012
Media Contact: Janice Mackey, DFG Office of Communications
The Department of Fish and Game (DFG) has once again been recognized for
outstanding Government Communications by the State Information Officers Council (SiOC). This year’s awards, announced May 10 in Sacramento, included the highest honor of all, as DFG’s Harry Morse was named Public Information Officer of the Year.
“This recognition demonstrates the quality of work and creativity that DFG produces on a daily basis to communicate with hunters, the general public, advocates and stakeholders,” DFG Deputy Director Jordan Traverso said. “The combination of writing, video editing, multi-media, in-house graphics and the implementation of social media has allowed us to develop award-winning communications strategies even with very limited resources.”
DFG’s Office of Communications, Education and Outreach (OCEO) employees were honored with seven golds, three silvers and numerous honorable mentions across several categories including writing, publications, media campaigns, graphics, multi-media and special projects. One of the biggest highlights of the luncheon was the presentation of the Public Information Officer of the Year award, which went to Morse. He is well known to outdoor writers and other reporters around the state for his extensive knowledge of fisheries, wildlife management and regulations. Although he retired last year, he has since returned to DFG’s OCEO as a retired annuitant, where he continues to take press calls and works to promote the department.
Below is the list of other award highlights:
- News Release: California Tarantulas Caught in Web of Lies, Gold Award – Carol Singleton
- Opinion Piece: Working to Improve Our Resources: DFG Launches Automated Licensing, Application System for Hunters and Anglers, Gold Award – Kirsten Macintyre
- Publications: OutdoorCaliforniaMagazine, Gold Award – Troy Swauger
- Brochures: The Shasta Valley Challenge, Gold Award – Meredith Fleener and Kirsten Macintyre
- Documentary: Marijuana Grow Site Awareness for Hunters, Gold Award – Matthew Elyash, Patrick Foy and Roy Griffith
- Media Campaign: 2011 Tax Check-Off forCalifornia Sea Otters, Gold Award – Dana Michaels
- Calendar: Calendar Issue: Outdoor California, Gold Award – Meredith Fleener and Troy Swauger
- Infographic and Technical Illustration, Fishing in the City: Knot Tying Poster Series, Silver Award – Meredith Fleener
- Poster: Game Warden Stamp Poster, Silver Award – Meredith Fleener, Josh Nicholas and Debra Hamilton
- Media Kit: Cosco Busan Consent Decree, Silver Award – Office of Spill Prevention and Response and the Cosco Busan Consent Decree Media Team
SiOC is a nonprofit organization offering professional development and networking opportunities for public information officers throughout California. Its annual Government Communications awards honor communications professionals.